Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail/bring your resume and cover letter to: Hiring Committee 20 SE 8th Ave. Portland OR 97214.
PRIORITY REVIEW BEGINS THE WEEK OF August 7, 2023. Position will remain open until filled.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or bring your resume with cover letter to: 20 SE 8th Ave., Portland, OR 97214. Applications without a cover letter will not be accepted. Interviews will begin soon after the week of August 7, 2023.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity
KBOO Community Radio is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, class, creed, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Station Manager
Employment Status: Non-exempt, hourly
Hours: 40 per week full-time
Direct Reports: None (Works in close coordination with and supports volunteers)
Salary: Starts at $25.63/hr Plus Benefits
The Development Director ensures KBOO meets annual revenue goals. This position leads all fundraising campaigns and communications and makes sure activities are in alignment with KBOO Community Radio's mission, charter, goals, and policies. The Development Director works closely with station management and staff to identify funding priorities and to ensure proper compliance with funding sources. This position is a member of the Revenue Operating Team and attends Development Committee meetings.
- At least 4 years of proven development experience in the non-profit sector,
- Experience leading social media campaigns
- Strong annual report, newsletter, and grant writing skills
- Capacity to develop accurate and timely reports and fulfill other grant obligations
- Ability to work with graphic artists to produce campaign assets
- Highly self-motivated, with strong project management skills.
- Excellent written communication, research and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; excellent oral communication skills; ability to participate in public speaking events
- Experience delegating responsibility and ensure accountability
- Ability to train and coordinate volunteers
- Capacity to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, as necessary
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with socio-economically, racially, and linguistically diverse communities and individuals
- Ability to work with a diverse population within KBOO’s multicultural and progressive organization
- Ability to model inclusive behavior consistent with KBOO's mission and program charter
- Significant foundation and major donor fundraising work
- Sales and Marketing Experience
- Graphic design experience and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Audio editing experience and proficiency with Adobe Audition or Audacity
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising technology and software
- Proficiency in Google Suite
- Coordinate and lead development and fundraising plan
- Create development activities/ events timeline and calendar
- Develop foundation relationships, grant applications
- Manage reports, agreements for current grants.
- Coordinate Direct Mail, End of Year, and other appeals
- Develop online plan for click-thru partnerships and donations
- Coordinate fundraising activities w/ membership department
- Set drive timing, messaging and fundraising efforts
- Support membership drives
- Solicit/ coordinate major donor events and relationships
- Find Donor Matches for drives, fundraising events and appeals
- Develop special asks for major donors for campaigns, EOY, etc
- Develop business matches, partners and sponsorships for drives and events
- Lead creation of other public relations and outreach materials/ handouts
- Develop/ Lead planned giving project, messaging and recognition for planned giving participants
- Clarify and lead various yearly messages
- Lead social media planning, training, implementation for revenue generation
- Lead e-newsletter creation, editing, sending
- Lead creation of ads for membership drives, other campaigns
- Work with Development and Membership Directors to create media collateral for fundraising, programming and other station activities
- Develop key media relationships
- Lead media list creation
- Create press releases
- Lead development of annual report
- Assess/ evaluate all of the above
- Request, train, support volunteers for all of the above duties as needed
- Guide and provide direction for Development/ Events Committee
- Train/ mentor committee volunteers
- Attend staff meetings and trainings
- Ensure KBOO meets annual revenue goals, which shall at minimum be greater than the cost of employing the Development Director
- Coordinate and lead a development/fundraising plan and timeline each year and long term.
- Coordinate and ensure thank you letters and acknowledgements.
- Leading foundation relationships, grant applications, following agreements, thank you letters, and reporting
- Coordinate the end-of-the year campaign
- Conduct donor communications; developing segmentation, improving our renewals and direct mail strategies.
- Lead other fundraising campaigns as needed/designed by the organization.
- Develop a plan for click-through partnerships and on-line donations.
- Coordinate fundraising activities with membership department and Revenue Operating Team
- Support membership drives, especially messaging and pitch materials. 3. Develop and solicit matches for drives
- Coordinate major donor events and relationships
- Donor matches for drive-Develop special asks for major donors during campaigns ( e.g. End-of-year and special projects)
- Create and send handwritten thank you notes to all $500 or greater gifts for major donors
- Create and implement a plan for businesses donations with the Revenue Operating Team.
- Find and implement business matches for drives.
- Sponsorships for development-initiated events.
- Lead messaging and recognition/acknowledgements.
- With Promotions Operating Team, ensure there is a doable communications plan, that it is implemented and tracked/reported on monthly.
- Lead development/fundraising messaging - with staff, clarify and lead our messages at different times of year for giving/development.
- Lead Coordinate fundraising related social media planning with Promotions Operating Team and Web and New Media Coordinator, training, and implementation.
- Lead donor communications, e-newsletter creation, editing and sending.
- Lead creation of ads for membership drives and other campaigns.
- Lead media list and press release development. Develop relationships with key media.
- Lead development of annual report.
- Lead development of all other fundraising marketing materials/hand-outs.
- Assessment, evaluation of all of the above, assessing best return on investment for all development activities.
- Requesting and supporting volunteers for all of the above as needed.
- Participating in staff meetings, Revenue Operating Team, and Promotions Operating Team.
This is a full-time hourly position with a starting salary and annual step increases determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
All represented staff at KBOO are part of the Communications Workers of America (CWA) Local 7901. This position is part of the Bargaining Unit, and the person hired into this position will, as a condition of employment, pay member dues (or equivalent to cover the cost of representation), to CWA Local 7901 by the 30th day of their employment. There is a six-month probationary period.
Benefits for this position are established in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This includes medical and dental coverage. This position also offers paid vacation, sick leave, and 13 paid holidays. Overtime for all hours worked over 40 hours per week.
KBOO has about ten paid employees and about 300 volunteers. The atmosphere can be intense and stimulating. The ability to work in this kind of environment is essential.
Computer, voicemail, copier, general office equipment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
KBOO Community Radio is an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, class, gender identity, creed, physical or mental disability.