Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Station Manager
FTE: 32 -hours a week
Employment Status: Non-exempt
Applications must be submitted by 5 pm on October 21, 2019. Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
General Description: The Development Director will help ensure the revenue operating team has a yearly fundraising plan in place and that we meet our annual revenue goals. The Development Director will also generate promotional materials, press materials and press relationships for KBOO. This position requires extensive work with volunteers and leads one other position. As in all positions at KBOO, the Development Director will work very closely and interdependently with other staff.
This position is the lead for the Revenue Operating Team. It is the responsibility of the Development Director to ensure that our fundraising plan focuses on those activities with the greatest return on investment (ROI) of time and resources. The Development Director will ensure that all fundraising strategies and activities are in alignment with KBOO Community Radio's mission, charter, goals and policies.
The ideal applicant will have the following qualifications:
- At least 4 years of proven development experience in the non-profit sector, preferably with significant foundation and major donor fundraising work or equivalent experience.
- Experience creating a fundraising plan
- Strong annual report, newsletter and grant writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of technology and appropriate software, including database management, spreadsheets and electronic communication, including online giving
- Experience using Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and Constant Contact
- Ability to produce accurate and timely reports and do all follow-up necessary to fulfill grant obligations
- Ability to work with graphic artists to produce print materials
- Highly self-motivated, with the ability to manage multiple projects and work according to specific deadlines
- Excellent written communication, research and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; excellent oral communication and ability to participate in public speaking events
- Ability to delegate responsibility and ensure accountability
- Ability to train and supervise volunteers
- Ability to lead fundraising team to stay on track with revenue goals
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, as necessary
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with socio-economically, racially, culturally and linguistically diverse communities and individuals
- Experience leading social media campaigns, including but not limited to FaceBook, Twitter, etc.
- Identify and address institutional and individual acts of oppression at KBOO. Ensure there is interruption of the oppression, follow-up and support for those impacted as well as documentation/record keeping of the incident.
- Ability to work with a diverse population within KBOO’s multicultural, cooperative, progressive organization
- Ability to model respectful, inclusive, responsible behavior that is consistent with KBOO's mission and program charter
1. Coordinate and lead a development/fundraising plan and timeline each year with the support of the membership, underwriting and finance departments
2. Coordinate and ensure thank you letters and acknowledgements of donors
3. Meet regularly with the revenue operating team to ensure execution of the plan
4. Supports the membership department with developing fundraising goals that match the overarching yearly fundraising plan and with member cultivation strategies
5. Supports the underwriting department with developing fundraising goals that match the overarching yearly fundraising plan and with business partnership strategies
- Leads grant strategic vision and priorities
- Leads foundation relationships, grant applications, following agreements, thank you letters, and reporting
- Coordinated grant strategy
1. Coordinate the end-of-the year campaign
2. Conduct donor communications; developing segmentation, improving our renewals and direct mail strategies in collaboration with the membership department
3. Design and lead other fundraising campaigns as needed/designed by the organization.
1. Develop a plan for click-through partnerships and on-line donations.
1. Coordinate fundraising activities with membership department and Revenue Operating Team,
2. Support membership drives, especially messaging and pitch materials.
3. Develop and solicit matches and prizes for drives
- Coordinate major donor events and relationships.
- Develop special asks for major donors during campaigns, ex. End-of-year and special projects.
- Create and send handwritten thank you notes to all $250 or greater gifts for major donors.
1. With Revenue Operating Team, ensure there is a plan for businesses donations.
2. Solicit Business matches for membership drives.
3. Sponsorships for development-initiated events.
1. Lead messaging and recognition/acknowledgements.
1. With Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator, ensure there is a strategy to bolster KBOO’s promotional effort, a doable communications plan, that it is implemented and tracked/reported on monthly.
2. Lead development/fundraising messaging - with staff, clarify and lead our messages
3. Coordinate fundraising related social media planning with Web and New Media Coordinator.
4. Lead donor communications, e-newsletter creation, editing and sending.
5. Lead development of annual report.
6. Lead development of fundraising marketing materials/handouts at different times of year for giving/development.
1. Assessment, evaluation of all of the above, assessing best return on investment for all development activities
2. Requesting and supporting volunteers for all of the above as needed.
3. Participating in staff meetings, revenue operating team and promotions operating team.
The Development Director is a part time position at $21.14 an hour.
Benefits include fully paid medical and dental coverage, long term disability and life insurance and credit union eligibility. This position also offers paid vacation, sick leave, and 11 paid holidays per year, in accordance with KBOO’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. Eligibility for the 401k plan is one year and 1,000 hours after the date of hire and KBOO contributes 3% of your salary per year.
KBOO has a small paid staff and about 500 volunteers. KBOO has regular membership drives. They require an intense amount of time and coordination. The atmosphere is hectic and stimulating. The ability to work in this kind of environment is essential.
Workplace expectations at KBOO radio include: effective verbal and written communications, conflict de-escalation, skillful volunteer relations and utilization, capable project management, work-area organization, response to phone calls and correspondence, teamwork and cooperation with other employees, volunteers, and Board members; furtherance of KBOO mission, goals and values; meeting attendance and participation; capable departmental budgeting and punctuality.
Equipment Used & Physical Working Conditions
Computer, voicemail, copier, fax. Applicant must be able to remain in a stationary position approximately 50% or more of the time. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Applicant must have ability to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer.
Equal Opportunity Employer
KBOO Community Radio is an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, class, gender identity, creed, physical or mental disability.
KBOO is a union shop and all (non management) staff are members of Communications Workers of America (CWA)- Local 7901. Any person hired will be required to join and pay dues to CWA Local 7901 after 90 days.
KBOO is a union shop and all (non management) staff are members of Communications Workers of America (CWA)- Local 7901. Any person hired will be required to join and pay dues to CWA Local 7901 after 90 days. There is a six month probationary period. This period is not to be construed as a contract.
Apply: Deadline to Apply is 5 pm on Monday, October 21st. Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.