Get Involved! Volunteer!
KBOO absolutely depends on volunteers to carry out the work of the station.
** Can you help distribute posters and flyers for KBOO events? We need your help! Please contact Ani, to get the details!**
At KBOO we have a dynamic community of 500 volunteers doing everything from front desk work, janitorial work, community reporting, hosting information booths, clerical support, news writing, documentary making, engineering live music, operating sound boards, engineering and computer help, website upkeep, and many, many other things.
Do you want to get involved? Contact Ani, the volunteer coordinator. Her email address is [email protected], or call her at 503-231-8032 ext. 213.
Volunteering at KBOO can take many, many paths. We have volunteers who come in to do things a few times each year, and other volunteers who spend 20+ hours each week at the station. Our volunteers range in age from nine years old to more than 80. Our community strives for inclusivity, and includes people of many races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, spiritual paths, economic classes, and political & philosophical schools of thought. Together we make up a thriving multi-cultural community working to create fabulous radio.
Orientations for new volunteers happen monthly, and are held at KBOO, 20 SE 8th Ave., just 1/2 block south of Burnside.
To volunteer at KBOO, there is a three step process to being an active volunteer:
1) Attend Volunteer Orientation
2) Talk with the volunteer coordinator to find out about trainings and schedule
3) Complete your first assignment
Volunteers at KBOO must be able to work collaboratively in a richly diverse, often hectic environment that is committed to non-violence within all levels of the organization.
Depending on your interests and availability, there are a great variety of things to do with KBOO. Some needs have very regular schedules, some are occasional. In general, volunteers write and produce news and public affairs content, mix-live music in studio, keep our website fresh and interesting, help with clerical support, help with outreach and special events, maintain the record library and archives, record lectures, meetings and readings, produce audio graphic arts, staff the front desk, and in many other ways
Currently, our biggest needs are for: news room volunteers, distributing flyers / postering, live remote broadcast tech help, live music mixologists, audio producers, audio production trainers, clerical support in the membership office, and outreach volunteers to help with special events, and outreach information tables.
We also currently have openings for volunteers to:
- Write / edit / produce the news --- shifts available every weekday
- Produce local news reports
- Produce and edit audio
- Produce public affairs content
- Contribute to web content
- Do janitorial work
- Mail out "thank you gifts" to members who requested them
- Staff the KBOO info table at exciting events
- Staff the front desk
- Photograph KBOO events in and outside of the studios
- Record audio away from KBOO -- (create field recordings)
- Help plan special events / benefits
- Serve on advisory committees (open to KBOO members only)
- Engineer or announce live remotes
- Set up & mix live music for on air performances
- Maintain computers
- Help to database our music library
- Upload original archives to internet
- Create CDs from live in-studio performances
- Help write content for our website
- Create podcasts
- Board-op for news and public affairs programming
- Create dynamic public affairs programs
- Substitute for a music program host
- Help with social media outreach
- Contribute to grant applications / grant writing
If you have been to volunteer orientation and are interested in any of these roles, contact me to let me know. I will be happy to talk with you about the specific role, any training you need, and the schedule involved.
If you have not yet attended an orientation for new volunteers, contact me (ani) for all of the details to get involved! Call me at 503-231-8032 ext. 213, or via email.
The next volunteer orientation will be held:
Thursday, February 11th, 6 - 8 pm
The following orientation will be held:
Thursday, March 10th, 6 - 8 pm
Contact Ani at 503-231-8032 ext. 213 or via email at volunteer[at]kboo[dot]org to with any questions regarding volunteer orienation or volunteering at KBOO. There is no pre-registration for the volunteer orientation-- just attend if you are able (and bring a pen!).
KBOO offers training in radio production, voice and microphone skills, audio editing, and field recording for volunteers who have attended Volunteer Orientation and commit to volunteering to fill station needs. We ask that you schedule at least 8 hours of volunteerism for each class you take. Contact Ani for more details.
If you've been considering volunteering, NOW IS THE TIME!
If you are a volunteer and want to be sure that you are keeping in touch with all of the station news and opportunities, contact ani, and ask to be added to the volunteer email distribution list.